Magic File Renamer Help
Index > Introduction
> What's New?
Changes in MFR 7.4.0 (related issues)
Changes in MFR 7.3.0 (related issues)
- Fixed (#169094): File Explorer Refresh problem under Windows 8.
- Fixed (#246788): MFR may crash when generating a batch renaming file.
- Fixed (#246789): Name List file was not saved correctly from rename list column with non-English characters.
- Fixed (#246790): ID3 Tag was not set correctly when non-English characters are used.
- Fixed (#246791): Error when trying to apply audio tag changes following prior changes to file path.
Changes in MFR 7.2.5:
- Changed: Default mask is * instead of *.*
- Fixed: Navigation to virtual folders was disabled.
- Fixed: File list was not updated pressing enter after changing mask.
- Fixed: "Add" command now adds file list items in current view order.
- Fixed: Keys P and S were used as hot-keys and could not be used for renaming in file list.
- Fixed: Archive (ZIP) files were not filtered even when not matching mask.
- Changed: Setup program - verify .NET framework exist; improved handling of closing processes with opened handles to required files.
Changes in MFR 7.2.4:
- Fixed: Filters with formatting parameters did not operate correctly..
Changes in MFR 7.0.8:
- New: Formatting parameter editor now shows a preview of the result formatting.
- New: Token and Substring formatting parameters editors now show the inner formatting parameter in a friendly editor.
- New: Option to change behavior of double click on file list item between run it and add it to rename list.
- Changed: File list now does not browse into archive files.
- Fixed: File List panel was not resized correctly.
- Fixed: ID3v2 Custom Field formatting parameter was not working.
Changes in MFR 7.0.7:
- Fixed: MFR failed to run due to privileges problem when overwritting older version.
- Fixed: Presets could not be modified by a non-admin user.
Changes in MFR 7.0.4:
- Fixed: Some of the filter options were hidden (substring / token).
- Fixed: Failure to save configuration due to privileges problem on some scenarios.
- Fixed: "Date Picture Taken" formatting parameter had used the image modification date field instead.
Changes in MFR 7.0.0:
- Changed: ID3V2 tag setter now writes ID3v2.3 tag by default, unless current tag is already 2.4 or 2.4 frames were set by the filter. This is due to the fact that ID3v2.4 is not supproted by Windows Explorer and media player.
- Fixed: Error when setting COMM frame in ID3v2 tag setter.
- Fixed: Could not add more than 30 files using shell context menu (Windows Explorer Right-Click).
- Fixed: Error when pressing Ctrl-A on file explorer.
- Fixed: Proper checking for files in use during install / uninstall.
Changes in MFR 6.4.1:
- Added support for reading and modifing various audio tag formats in addittion to
MP3: OGG Vorbis (XIPH), APE, Apple (ILST), ASF, DIVX, FLAC (XIPH & FLAC metadata),
RIFF (AVI, WAV, AVI, RMI).
- Added support for reading various image tag formats: XMP (for JPEG, TIFF, JPEG 2000,
PNG, GIF, PDF files), JPEG Comment, EXIF / IFD (JPEG, TIFF and more), PNG, GIF Comment.
- Added support for reading various media (image, audio and video) properties.
- Added Cleaner Filter, inteded to remove unwanted characters from names.
- File Explorer control was replaced - now Windows original shell view is included.
- File Explorer control includes folder back and forward buttons.
- File Explorer control now hide items which are exluded using the exclude masks feature.
- File Explorer control now suppores more view styles: thumbnails, large icons, and more.. .
- File Explorer control takes display settings from Windows View setttings.
- Added "Add Hidden/System Files" feature to Rename List. When checked, hidden & sytstem files in sub-directories will be added to the rename list.
- New icons
- Added Illegal Characters replace list sample file.
Changes in MFR 6.4.0:
- Fixed program hang when browsing to some special folders.
- Canceled splash screen on startup.
- Fixed failure of saving configuration when closing the program.
- Updated the "JPEG Date" preset and added "Last Update Date" Preset.
- On x64 O/S, setup program installs the software in the "Program Files" and not "Program
Files (x86)" folder
Changes in MFR 6.3.4:
- Added support for finding nearby country/region/place using GeoNames.org database
(requires internet connection) (Pro edition only).
- Added Jpeg-Geo column header fields and formatter parameters for extracting geographical
info from jpeg files (latitude, longitude, nearby place name) (Pro edition only)
Changes in MFR 6.3.3:
- Fixed: Windows Explorer Context menu integration is working also for 64 bit systems.
- Fixed: "Enumeration was modified" error while preview of MP3 files.
Changes in MFR 6.3.2:
- Fixed: Errors when trying to open options window without administrator privileges.
Changes in MFR 6.3.0:
- ID3 library was updated to latest version - now supports ID3 v2.4 tags.
- JPEG Metadata (EXIF) library was updated to latest version.
- Added Windows Explorer Context menu integration (right-click menu).
- Fixed: MEX Evaluation message may have appeared always on 64bit systems.
- Trial usage limit was decreased to 30 renaming operations.
Changes in MFR 6.23:
- Compiled for .NET framework 4.0.
- Fixed: Personal code was changed after re-installation of Windows O/S. (note: fix
will apply only to systems for which MFR was never installed before, in order to
avoid having registered user's personal code changed).
- Fixed: Freedb support is working again.
Changes in MFR 6.22:
- Fixed: Help files could not be opened from the program interface.
- Fixed: Evaluation message appeared on startup when using a 64-bit system.
Changes in MFR 6.21:
- MFR now save presets, log and configuration to the Common Application Data folder
instead local program folder, due to Windows 7 and Vista security restrictions.
Changes in MFR 6.20:
- Fixed some licensing issues.
Changes in MFR 6.12:
- Compiled for .NET framework 3.5, for better support in Windows 7 and Vista.
Changes in MFR 6.1:
- ID3 engine was replaced.
- Added support for non-english character sets.
- Fix: ID3v1 tag was not removed correctly.
- Fix: ID3v2 tag was not created correctly.
- Removed the "ID3" group from the field chooser.
- Better support for MPEG fields.
- More ID3v2 frames are now supported.
- Setting ID3v2 web address frames is not supported in this version.
- Minor UI fixes and improvements.
- Fix: Windows context menu extension was not working properly when a large amount
of files was selected.
- Fix: When saving filters as a preset, filter values with spaces only were not saved
- Fix: Icons for .ICO files ware not displayed correctly in the File Explorer.
Changes in MFR 6.0:
MFR 6.0 was completely redesigned and rewritten. This version is based on Microsoft.Net technology.
- Much improved Rename List.
- Supports displaying various fields via the Rename List Field Selector , including ID3 tags, JPEG metadata, dates, attributes and many
- Enhanced Rename List Sort options. Rename list
can be sorted now by any column or by multiple columns using the Advanced Sort Editor Sort can also be performed by preview field values.
- Highlighting of changes in any fields (not just filenames)
- Highlighting of preview errors and rename errors. Better error messages.
- Supports Manual Change of both initial
value and final value for fields in any single item in Rename List. Manual changes
are now applied only when GO is pressed instead of immediately.
- Supports exporting any column into text file, and free edit of names with text editor,
combined with the new Name List Filter.
- Supports removing unchanged items from every column / field.
- Supports drag & drop of single cells instead of rows.
- Pressing 'Alt' while dragging items to Rename List clears it.
- Improved File Explorer control. Supports sorting by column
headers in Report mode.
- Improved Presets feature.
- Better Preset Manager.
- Presets can have a description.
- Rename List columns setting and sort can also be saved to presets.
- Preset file format was changed.
- Improved Log feature. More details in log data, supports
erasing log sessions. Format of log file changed.
- Improved Undo feature. Can undo any changes, including
changes in attributes, dates and ID3 tags.
- Error log feature was omitted. Error logging is now integrated with the Log feature.
- All filters which support formatting now use improved Formatting Editors , with improved formatting parameters selector and syntax
- A lot of new Formatting Parameters, including MP3 tag parameters,
Image properties, JPEG metadata, online music data from freedb.org , folder file count, rename list item count. Names and format
of formatting parameters were changed.
- Console mode support is now via the new console application
MFRC.exe. Format of console mode and GUI mode Command Line Parameters
- Enhanced Regular Expressions support in the Replacer Filter . Note that regular expressions syntax was changed.
- Improved ID3 Tag Setter Filter. Supports Auto
increment of track number, setting only existing tags, MP3 drop area.
- New Mover Filter supports moving files to different
folders and creation folder hierarchies dynamically.
- Added extensive support for extracting metadata from EXIF tags in image files from
digital cameras and other digital imaging hardware. Standard EXIF, Canon, Casio,
FujiFilm, GPS, IPTC, Nikon & Olympus are supported.
- New Counter Filter to ease adding serial numbers
- New Name List Filter to ease using name-list files.
- New Sentence End Characters Filter.
- Visual Trim Helpers added for Trim Filters .
- Added extensive user manual that that covers all aspects
of the application.
- Date Setter & Time Setter
Filters now support setting Creation Date, Last Write Date, Last Access Date.
- Added indicator for predicted errors in the status bar.
- Formatter Filter: Added a format string validity
- Strip Parentheses filter: Type of parenthsis to
be stripped can be selected.
- Generated Batch Renaming File now supports changing
attributes and moving files.
- Letters Case filter: Sentence case style behavior
changed, Added "First Letter Up" style.
- Casing List Filter speed improved.
- "All Filters" group is now sorted by filter name.
- "Trim But .." filters names changed to ".. Extract".
- Options Window design was changed.
- And much much more..