Magic File Renamer Help
Index > Introduction
- Can modify names, extensions, attributes and dates (creation/last modified/last
access) for files and folders.
- Modify tags for audio files.
- The following file formats are supported: MP3, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, APE, ASF, DIVX,
AVI, WAV, RMI
- The following standards are supported: ID3 v1, ID3 v2, XIPH, ILST, RIFF.
- VBR encoding is supported.
- Can move files to different folders.
- When adding files, you can:
- Recursively process sub-folders (add all files and folders below a specific folder).
- Use wildcard mask filters to add or exclude files of a specific types.
- Add files from network locations.
- Shows you a real time preview of the expected renaming results, including preview
of changes in audio tags, dates and attributes. Also highlights changes and predicted
- Powerful pattern renaming (formatting) feature, lets you rename any text field (incl.
text fields in audio tags) according to patterns you define.
Numerous properties of the files can be used as parameters in the pattern:
- Properties and tag fields from audio files (E.g. Duration or track title).
- Properties from various image formats (E.g. Width or color depth).
- Properties from various video formats (E.g. Video length or resolution).
- JPEG (EXIF) metadata with support for a variety of digital camera manufacturers
and standards: Standard EXIF, Canon, Casio, FujiFilm, GPS, IPTC, Nikon & Olympus
- Tag fields from various image formats. The following formats are supported: JPEG,
TIFF, JPEG 2000, PNG, GIF, PDF, and the following standards: XMP, EXIF, IFD.
- Reverse geocoding from Jpeg EXIF location fields to nearby country/region/city using
- Basic file properties: date, size, parent folder, file count in folder..
- Counters, random characters, lines from text files, clipboard text and more.
- Powerful string processing features let you modify and use tokens and substrings
from names and text fields. Filters below can be applied to any part of file name.
(E.g.: uppercase only the first part of filename, using '-' to separate parts).
- Unique support for freedb.org online music database,
lets you perform free-text search for albums, and rename track names on tags of
full albums without effort!
- Various casing filters let you modify casing of names and tags. Supports also configurable
casing dictionary. E.g.: uppercase initials.
- Space manipulating filters let you modify spacing style of names and tags. E.g.:
convert underscores to spaces.
- Trimming filters let you easily remove characters from any place within names and
- Advanced search & replace filters let you perform replacements within names
and tags. Regular expressions, replace lists and pattern replacements are supported.
- Remove unwanted characters from file names.
- Advanced counter filter lets you add serial numbers to names and tags.
- Name-list filter lets you use text file with a list of names to modify names and
tags. You can also use any text editor combined with this feature to freely edit
- Token mover filter lets you swap parts of names easily, for example swapping artist
and album texts in music file names.
- MP3 filters let you modify ID3 tags. You can delete tags or change almost any field
in ID3 tags V1 or V2.3. Support for auto-increment track numbers, using patterns
in text fields, using online data from freedb.org and preview.
- Mover filter lets you move files to different folders and even create folders in
hierarchies on the fly using patterns. E.g.: Create a structure in the form \(artist)\(album)\(track).
- More filters including fixing length of numbers in names, strip parentheses and
inserting characters in positions.
- Presets editor lets you create a series of filters to apply in a defined order,
and save it for reuse.
- Powerful Rename List let you select the fields you want to see in the preview, including
ID3, dates and Exif fields. You can also sort the rename list by any field(s).
- Rename List supports a feature to generate name-list files from any field. E.g.:
text file consists of artist names for all the files in the list.
- Unique manual rename feature lets you easily modify values for single items in rename
list. You can, for example, conveniently edit the ID3 track titles by hand.
- Multi-level undo feature lets you undo changes you made. Any change can be undone,
even in ID3 tags.
- Logging feature lets you see in detail any changes you made in any past rename operation
and undo them.
- MFR can integrate itself in Windows Explorer's right click context menu, so that
you will be able to launch it by right clicking on files or folders.
You can also drag and drop files from any Windows application onto the rename list.
- Integrated File-Explorer control let you add files and folders to the rename list
without leaving the application.
- Console mode application lets you do automatic renaming and batch renaming from
a command line, by using predefined presets.
- MFR lets you create a Windows batch file with renaming commands.